Stat Check

Saturday 6 July 2013

A Day in the life of a Careless Schoolboy

Morning, 6:00am
I wake up, groggy eyed. As I brush my teeth, I wonder: Why can't they give us a day off, at least to prepare for the math exam? The quarterly exam's tomorrow, and I haven't studied a bit yesterday, so that leaves a lot to prepare today. Since only the FIITJEE section is working, I decide to wear sandals to school- nobody's gonna care anyway, right?

7:15am
I wait in the auto (which takes me to school,along with Saiduth and Rohit) and whistle to myself. Saiduth comes out, with his math textbook in hand. I glance at him and smile.
Auro:"You've become quite the nerd, haven't you?"
Saiduth:"Look who's talking! So you studied anything yesterday?"
A:"Didn't open the textbook. Why, you finished? Gonna relax today, huh?"
S:"Yeah, I finished because we have an exam today."
I laugh.
A:"Don't start pulling my leg now. We have full-day FIITJEE today!"
S:"No, we have a test, and then FIITJEE!"
A:"Serious. Are you kidding me??!?"
S:"No! Ask Rohit if you will!"
5 minutes later: (Rohit enters)
A:"Dude, we really have a test today?"
Please say no.
Rohit:"Yes, obviously... why, you didn't know?" *hee hee*
A:"Wha.... but... I thought today was only FIITJEE?"
R:"No, I checked the timetable too."
S:"Auro, lol, you're dead meat if you're not bluffing.."
A:"Give me that book!"
I snatch the book from his hand, and he kindly does not take it back.

How I felt whilst writing the paper

7:45am
My mind is chaotic, and is overflowing with formulas and equations. I check my time. 15 minutes to go! I go through my check-list: Good chapters, finished. Boring chapters, almost. Wow-- the human brain's really efficient under pressure! This is literally mind-blowing! I should write about this on the blog some day... hey, wait a minute, I've wasted a minute! Curse you, brain!

8:15am
I'm sitting in my room, with my eyes focused on the text book. I hear someone whining about studying only for 2 hours for the exam. I chuckle, both at him and myself.
The teacher walks into the exam room, shouts at us to arrange the benches, and distributes the papers. She tells us to start the test.
I look around. Sagnik is studying the paper, and most others are frantically writing. I look at my question paper. A string of thoughts flood my mind:
Trigonometry. Parabola. Ellipse. Formula? Write. Meow. Question 6 easy. Bzzzzzzzzz...
I sit in static for 5 minutes. I take a long, hard look at the paper, and lift my pen. I'll do the easy questions first, and somehow manage the paper...

10:00am
Turns out the questions are easier than they look. Either that or I'm not doing anything right. For each problem, especially trigonometry, I spend a good 5 minutes on R&D, and then proceed to answering it. Also, considering that I have only about an hour left, I try to get faster. I still can't believe my carelessness.

11:00am
I finish the exam. I'm not too happy with my performance, but not very depressed about it either. I walk at snails' pace to my classroom, discussing the answers with my peers. A chilling thought enters my mind, as I sit in my place. What will I say to mom at home today? As I ponder over the alternatives, MP walks in.
He slowly comes over to my place, and asks (with that scary sober face): "How was the paper today?".
I smile.

Fellow classmates, let me end the story over here, as what happened after this is not very pleasing to hear.

Note: Yeah, it is a true story. Half-yearly Exam, Class 11, 2012. Here's my excuse for producing such a boring article-- time constraints do not permit creativity.
So long, till next week!

4 comments:

  1. So you are scared of your mom! Can we believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, may be you can start writing novels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mom: Yeah, I'm very scared of you! I'll start studying now! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo auro nice one dude. you should've seen ur own expression that day.....HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete